TECSPG-2667 session opening comment notes:
- Using ONF definition that it is a split control from data plane
- What does SDN mean to the customer? A multitude of answers
- Speaker says to him it means just want it says, its “software defined”. Which means I can do it.
- Custom Routing – Online traffic engineering
- Custom Traffic Processing – Analytics, Encryption
- Consistent Network Policy – Security, Threat Mitigation
- Visualization & Domain Isolation – Device/Appliance/Network
- Federating different Network Control Points (LAN-WAN, DC-WAN, Virtual-Physical, Layer-1-3)
- Elephant in the room: Automation of Network Control & Configuration
Moving from a fully distributed control plane with a split between infrastructure embedded software and application software into a hybrid control plane with infrastructure software that bridges application software with embedded infrastructure software.
- Elementary Infrastructure Functions (Controller base-layer)
- API: Infrastructure Service Functions
- API: Orchestration Functions
- API: Management Functions
Cisco is wrapping all of this up into a turn-key solution as well as a developer platform.
A decent amount of market-echture following.
Multi-layer, multi-plane APIs:
- Forwarding: OpenFlow
- Control: I2RS
- Network Services: PECP, BGP-LS
- Orchestration: Openstack-Quantum
- Management: OMI, Puppet, Netconf
Summary of market-echture: Cisco onePK harmonizes it all so that you have consistent platform support to interface with all of the API layers.
Classifying APIs based on their scope, not all APIs are created equal.
Open Daylight (finally getting to the meat of the presentation)
Cisco has contributed core functionality from the One controller to Open Daylight. Per usual, the enhancements are Cisco specific.
Cisco is virtualizing all of their products:
vSwitch (1000v), vRouter (CSR), vISE, vFW (vASA), vWAAS, vWLC, VSG, vNA, etc…
VIRL: Virtual Internet Routing Lab – Cisco’s SDN virtual lab for customers and developers.
Segment routing: put routing information into the packet, basically source routing. State remains at the edge.
Segment routing draft:
Impact of SR on SDN:
The end goal is for the network to be more relevant to applications.